2/19/2010

Il y a longtemps que je t'aime


There is a lovely, short scene in this movie that personifies the difference between a very good film and the run-of-the-mill garbage you get here at our local outlet-mall cinema. Juliette sits on a park bench, her reading glasses halfway down her nose, reading the last page of a book. She takes in that last sentence, straightens a little, closes the book and, with that gesture that is so familiar to a lover of books, rubs her hands affectionately over its cover. She thinks for a second, looks around, and returns to caressing the book with a slight smile. That's it. Less than 30 seconds.

Kristin Scott Thomas is inspired in this subtle character drama about a woman who has spent the last 15 years of her life in prison for a mysterious crime. It's also about forgiveness, trust and hope, and is surprisingly uplifting considering the tragedy at its core. I know, I know—this will not appeal to everyone, but I was very moved.

1 comment:

  1. I'll never forget watching her slip naked into the bath in The English Patient ages ago, and being so impressed at how easily she did it. And in Gosford Park she did it again. I sometimes imitate her "What ARE you wearing?" line to my kids, just to remind myself of how good an actress she really is.

    ReplyDelete